The Advanced Ultrasound Course is designed for students to learn more advanced techniques for the use of ultrasound at the bedside. Students are expected to have a good working knowledge of ultrasound prior to this course. We will cover topics from advanced cardiac ultrasound to pulmonary applications. This course also has extensive hands on training following lectures. The Advanced Ultrasound Course is awarded 8 hours of category 1 CME.
The course will be located at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center which is located at 1101 Lincoln Street, Columbia, SC 29201. There are several hotels close to the convention center however, the two that are just steps outside the door are The Hampton Inn (http://www.hamptoninncolumbia.com or 803-231-2000) and The Hilton Columbia Center (http://www.hiltoncolumbia.com or 803-744-2800). We have a block of rooms at a rate of $169 at the Hampton Inn next to the Convention Center. You can make your reservation at this hotel by using the following link. https://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/groups/personalized/C/CAEDTHX-EUC-20181019/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG.
Upon Completion of the Advanced Emergency Ultrasound Course, participants will be able to:
- Produce ultrasound images for limited examination of the following organs: lungs, deep venous structures of the limbs, soft tissue and skin.
- Produce ultrasound images for expanded examination of the cardiac system.
- Produce ultrasound images to be used in guiding management of patient resuscitations.
- Use ultrasound to facilitate the following procedures: thoracentesis, pericardiocentesis, lumbar puncture, paracentesis and peritonsilar abscess drainage.
The Advanced Ultrasound Course
- In this module we explore advanced echo techniques that clinicians can employ to evaluate patients with potential cardiac abnormalities.
- We will look at ultrasound applications for conditions such as CHF, pneumonia and pneumothorax.
- This lecture focuses on the use of ultrasound with critically ill patients. We will review how to use findings from several types of studies to help direct the management of these patients and complete numerous case studies as examples.
- This lecture covers a number of procedural applications of emergency ultrasound. We review ultrasound guided procedures such as paracentesis, thoracentesis, joint aspiration, abscess drainage and more.
Soft Tissue Ultrasound
- We review ultrasound usage for abscess versus cellulitis, as well as musculoskeletal applications.
- This lecture focuses on using ultrasound to diagnose emergency eye pathologies including retinal detachment, vitreous bleeding, lens dislocation, and ruptured globe..
- Hands on training lab with live models and phantoms to allow you to practice the techniques we have reviewed during the morning sessions.
Resident/Fellow (Verification Required)
Physician Assistant (Verification Required)
Nurse Practictioner (Verification Required)
Student / Nurse (Verification Required)