The Advanced Ultrasound Course is designed for students to learn more advanced techniques for the use of ultrasound at the bedside. Students are expected to have a good working knowledge of ultrasound prior to this course. We will cover topics from advanced cardiac ultrasound to pulmonary applications. This course also has extensive hands on training following lectures. The Advanced Ultrasound Course is awarded 8 hours of category 1 CME.
Upon Completion of the Advanced Emergency Ultrasound Course, participants will be able to:
- Produce ultrasound images for limited examination of the following organs: lungs, deep venous structures of the limbs, soft tissue and skin.
- Produce ultrasound images for expanded examination of the cardiac system.
- Produce ultrasound images to be used in guiding management of patient resuscitations.
- Use ultrasound to facilitate the following procedures: thoracentesis, pericardiocentesis, lumbar puncture, paracentesis and peritonsilar abscess drainage.
The course will be located at the Westin Galleria Dallas which is ideally located in the heart of Dallas and experience all the beauty and culture "The Big D" and Metroplex have to offer, from scenic parks and historic museums to outstanding world-class restaurants and sublime designer shopping. Shopping aficionados will revel in the opulent and endless Galleria Dallas, directly accessible from the hotel lobby. Major names include Guci, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co., Nordstrom and the American Girl Boutique and Bistro. Stay at The Westin Galleria Dallas and take advantage of true Southwestern hospitality in this extraordinary Texas destination. We have secured sleeping rooms at a discounted rate of $199/night for participants of 3rd Rock Ultrasound. The hotel will offer complimentary internet access in the lobby, guest rooms as well as the meeting space. To reserve a room at the Westin Galleria Dallas you can call 800-WESTIN-1 or click on the following link https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/3rdRockUltrasoundEvent. Please note that the last day to make your sleeping room reservation under the reduced rate is October 1, 2018.
The Advanced Ultrasound Course
- In this module we explore advanced echo techniques that clinicians can employ to evaluate patients with potential cardiac abnormalities.
- We will look at ultrasound applications for conditions such as CHF, pneumonia and pneumothorax.
- This lecture focuses on the use of ultrasound with critically ill patients. We will review how to use findings from several types of studies to help direct the management of these patients and complete numerous case studies as examples.
- This lecture covers a number of procedural applications of emergency ultrasound. We review ultrasound guided procedures such as paracentesis, thoracentesis, joint aspiration, abscess drainage and more.
Soft Tissue Ultrasound
- We review ultrasound usage for abscess versus cellulitis, as well as musculoskeletal applications.
- This lecture focuses on using ultrasound to diagnose emergency eye pathologies including retinal detachment, vitreous bleeding, lens dislocation, and ruptured globe..
- Hands on training lab with live models and phantoms to allow you to practice the techniques we have reviewed during the morning sessions.
Resident/Fellow (Verification Required)
Physician Assistant (Verification Required)
Nurse Practictioner (Verification Required)
Student / Nurse (Verification Required)